Friends of Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery
President Anthony Bowen
Chairman John Benbow
Registered Charity 51347
Since the opening of the Music Hall in Shrewsbury in 2014 as the new home for the Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery, the Friends have played a crucial role in the provision of services to the Museum and in providing further financial support for purchases and programmes.
Become a Friend of the Museum and support this vital activity.
The Friends group (FSMAG) was established in 1983 with the general aim of supporting the objectives of Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery – particularly its educational work. Over the years FSMAG has contributed over £100,000 in support of the museum. In early years this mainly involved the purchase of items for the museum’s collections of both local and national importance. More recently FSMAG has contributed to the costs of running programmes and the purchase of equipment. For example £5,000 was given for display cases and sponsorship of the very successful exhibition ‘Heavenly Lights’ about the work of the stained glass artist Margaret Rope.
Contributions from FSMAG has often been the critically important starting point for further funding support from trusts and national organisations such as the Arts Council and the National Lottery.
As a Friend you will receive a warm welcome and gain privileged insight into our local history and heritage. Our members come from a variety of backgrounds but are linked by a love of the arts, an interest in history and an appreciation of the importance of museums in local life. At the present time (2019) there are over 300 members of FSMAG.
Friends have free entry to the Museum and a discount off purchases in the shop and Café.
Friends enjoy an active programme including:
- a series of lectures focusing on local and national areas of interest.
- visits to historic sites and houses, other museums and exhibitions.
- an annual printed newsletter plus regular email updates.
- a social programme including the summer party.
- FSMAG also organises The Darwin Memorial Lecture which takes place in February each year at the Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury. This has now become an international event with a series of distinguished speakers.
Details are on our Talks, Visits and Darwin Memorial Lecture pages.
Many of our members support the Museum as volunteers, welcoming visitors, acting as gallery guides and assisting with educational programmes for both children and adults.
If you would like to become a Friend, please CLICK HERE to open the membership application form (as a pdf), print off the page, then fill out the details on the form by hand, and post it to the FSMAG box at the Museum.
Committee 2020 – 21
Chairman: John Benbow
Vice Chairman: Margaret Thorpe
Honorary Secretary: Rosemary Thornes
Membership Secretary: Maureen Formby
Treasurer: Clare Kelly
Talks Organiser: Maurice Headon
Newsletter Editor: Julie Bridges
Katharine Degg, Patricia Lowe.
By mail at: FSMAG, c/o Visitor Information Centre, The Music Hall, The Square, Shrewsbury SY1 1LH
Or by email at: FriendsSMAG@gmail.com
To find out more about Shrewsbury Museum and Art Gallery, visit the Museum’s website at: http://www.shrewsburymuseum.org.uk/
Data Privacy Notice for FSMAG
Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR).
Who are we?
FSMAG is the data controller as represented by its elected Membership Secretary (contact details) and Treasurer (financial details). This means FSMAG decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
How do we process your personal data?
FSMAG complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that technical and physical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To administer membership records
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid declarations)
- To send you our annual Newsletter
- To inform you of news relating to museums and local history and heritage
- To inform you of activities and events organised by FSMAG and other bodies in which you may be interested
- To operate the FSMAG web site and deliver the services that individuals have requested.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with FSMAG Committee members as needed. We will not share your data with third parties.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your personal data whilst you retain membership of FSMAG and up to 6 years after, in order to deal with any residual issues. We keep gift aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 6 years after the tax year to which they relate. After that period all data are securely disposed of.
You have the right to:
- request a copy of the personal data that FSMAG holds about you;
- request that FSMAG corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- request that your personal data is erased when it is no longer necessary for FSMAG to retain it;
- withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- request a restriction to be placed on further processing, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data;
- lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, we will provide you with a notice explaining this new use, setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. We will always seek your prior consent to the new use.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints, please contact the Membership Secretary at FSMAG, c/o VIC, The Music Hall, The Square, Shrewsbury SY1 1LH or by email at email@example.com.
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 3113 or by email at http://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.